visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pumpkin Black Bean Hummus

2

PUMPKIN BLACK BEAN HUMMUS

Looking for a light New Year's Eve or New Year's Day snack to serve that will offset some of the heavier things that may have been on the table this past week? Try this dish!

I was looking for some healthy and filling options to add to my Christmas Eve menu, as this year we celebrated with appetizers and cocktails rather than a regular dinner. This hearty and tasty recipe was one of a few that I came up with! Stay tuned for one more recipe: a raw, vegan and gluten free dessert tomorrow!


THE EASY INGREDIENTS
 AND INSTRUCTIONS

--One can (drained) of your preferred brand of cooked black beans (or roughly just under two cups of cooked beans if you prefer to do it yourself). I used SimplyNature organic brand.

--One half of a can of your preferred cooked pumpkin puree (or around 1 cup of cooked pumpkin). I used Libby's!

--Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

--Cumin, salt and pepper to taste

--For anyone who likes a little heat, a dash of Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce or powdered spice

____________________________________

Creates about three cups of hummus and serves 4-6.

Combine all ingredients in your food processor and blend until somewhat smooth (I actually like my hummus a little on the chunky side!). This could also be done in a blender but you would end up needing a little extra liquid for blending, and your hummus would be thinner. With this recipe, you could easily hand mash the black beans and stir in your pumpkin puree, as black beans are quite soft! Your hummus would be a little on the chunkier side.


I served my hummus with carrot, broccoli and cucumber slices, as well as rice crackers. It was delicious and full of protein, fiber and antioxidants (plus the pumpkin gives it a nice vitamin A and C boost!).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts