visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sugar-Free Pumpkin Flax Porridge (Low carb, Vegan/Gluten & Dairy Free)

IMG_6688

SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN FLAX PORRIDGE
with healing spices

(Gluten/Dairy Free/Vegan/Low Carb...Serves 2-3)


It was such a dark, dreary morning. A storm has been rolling through since last night (SO much rain!) and it was just one of those stormy days when you want a nice, warm bowl of hot cereal.

There was just one problem: I was not supposed to be eating grains and carbs! 

For the past few months, I've been having some tummy issues: acid reflux, irritation, etc. As a veteran of such conditions I started taking my normal meds, but they didn't seem to be helping at all (and they haven't exactly been a magic cure in the past). At a bit of a loss last week, I visited a naturopath who was certain my problems were actually Candida, or yeast, based. Given my history and symptoms, I'm really thinking she might be right! Therefore, I was willing to accept the low-carb challenge she prescribed me, along with probiotics and some other supplements.

I'm no stranger to low carb eating; however, my diet is SO much healthier than it was years ago, when I was struggling to drop quick pounds and hopping on various diet bandwagons. It can be tempting to add artificial sweeteners and junk BACK into your diet when trying to cut out carbs, because...SUGAR CRAVINGS! However, I'm bound and determined to make this (perhaps temporary, perhaps more permanent) lifestyle change happen so that I can see if it is really the secret to a healthy gut. I've suffered so long!


Therefore, I set my mind on creating a warm, hearty and healthy cereal that would be low carb and sugar free. Here's what I came up with!




But first...the grey we West Michiganders woke up to this morning...

darkoutthere      IMG_6660

IMG_6662

RECIPE AND INSTRUCTIONS HERE:


INGREDIENTS:

-One can of pumpkin puree (if you have time to make fresh cooked pumpkin, yay! You'll need about a 1 1/4 cups).

-One cup of flax meal seed

-2 tbsp coconut oil (so good for you and also has great anti-microbial/anti-fungal properties because of the lauric acid it contains).

-2 tbs nut butter of your choice (I used almond butter this morning)

-Stevia to taste (I used organic liquid). If you don't care for stevia, honey would be amazing. I think a dash of molasses would be extra yummy, too!

-Vanilla extract to taste (I used about 1 tsp).

-Healing spice combo: cinnamon, cardomom and turmeric for their anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.

-Coconut milk and sunflower seeds (dry roasted if you are watching the carbs) as a garnish on top.

*If you aren't watching the carbs, there are some wonderful grains you could add in--anything from quinoa to rolled oats! Also, chia seeds would be a great addition, along with any nut or seed you like!

IMG_6680

DIRECTIONS:

Add together pumpkin puree, flax meal, spices, vanilla, coconut oil, nut butter and sweeteners to taste. Blend until smooth and heat in a pan to desired temperature (stir constantly as it will heat quickly).

Remove from heat and serve in bowl topped with coconut milk and sunflower seeds. Enjoy!


IMG_6665


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts