visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Vegan Ginger and Soy Tofu Stirfry with Spicy Peanut Sauce

IMG_6470

VEGAN GINGER AND TOFU STIR FRY
With Spicy Peanut Sauce

Makes 3-4 servings 
(add more vegetables to stretch things farther, or serve with rice or bean threads)

YUM. It's one of our go-to "Meatless Monday" entrees! It's a quick, easy, meatless dish that offers lots of plant based protein, healthy fats, and deliciously healthy veggies! We rarely have left overs. ;)

You can stretch or modify this recipe by serving it over rice or bean threads if you prefer--but I like to cut the calories and up the healthy fiber with lots of yummy stir fry veggies.

INGREDIENT LIST:

-(1) 14 oz container of firm tofu (I prefer to use Nasoyu Organic Lite Firm Tofu)
-Stir fry veggies (show here are cubed zuchinni, red and orange sweet peppers, green onions, broccoli and sugar snap peas)
-Preferred oil for cooking and sauce (I used raw vegan coconut oil this time, but you could easily sub olive, peanut, or another oil throughout the recipe)
-Fresh minced ginger (or powder if you prefer) and fresh chopped garlic (or powder if you prefer)
-Soy and teriyaki sauce
-Sriracha Sauce
-Natural peanut butter or PB2
-Sesame seeds for toasting (optional) and orange for garnish (optional)


HOW TO MAKE IT:

IMG_6440

I start by cubing my tofu. If I have time, I will marinate it in soy, teriyaki, or a blend of both! When I'm running short, I toss it into a hot pan with a tsp or so of oil and sautee it while adding the sauce on top. Add the finely minced ginger half way through cooking. Carefully stir periodically and once tofu chunks are brown, remove from pan to be added to vegetables later.

IMG_6439

I wash, chop and stirfry my vegetables using the same method: a little oil, a little soy and teriyaki, and a little fresh garlic. Stir fry veggies are best, in my opinion, seared in a hot pan, slightly al dente. Once they are cooked, gently toss together the tofu and vegetables. 

IMG_6446  IMG_6448

The spicy peanut sauce:  First, I warm a few tablespoons of soy, water, and oil (in this instance I used raw coconut oil) in the microwave. (This is no exact science--feel free to taste as you go, I know I do!) Though I usually use natural peanut butter (2-3 heaping tablespoons), I decided to try PB2 this time (3-4 heaping tablespoons). It blended nicely and the flavor was good--in fact, a very nice substitute!-- but I can't lie: natural peanut butter is the overall winner. Be careful with the soy--it is VERY salty. If you do accidentally have too much in the mix, level it out with more peanut butter and oil. I also add a nice healthy squirt of sriracha (it's a mellow heat, but add more or less to your tastes) and blend until it is creamy! It will thicken as it stands; warm just before serving so that it drizzles onto stir fry nicely.

IMG_6467

IMG_6450

Mmm...toasted sesame seeds set things off! Of course, this is an optional step along with the sliced orange (and so is the pretty design you see below, but hey, this vegan tofu stirfry was the star in a photo shoot)! Plate the combined tofu and veggies and serve with peanut sauce for drizzling.

IMG_6469

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts