visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Sunday, March 29, 2015

Gluten Free and Low Sugar Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe!

Pineaple Upside Down Cake

Gluten Free and Low Sugar 
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe!

Due to some serious tummy distress I've been experiencing over the last year (and really, beyond that) I've recently decided to try and pinpoint any possible food allergies I might have, and I started with gluten. This has been exceedingly tough because I LOVE whole grains, and products made with gluten (such as seitan, which I make from scratch with vital wheat gluten). Also, for those who suffer with celiac or wheat allergy, it can be so frustrating when products have hidden gluten in them (I was definitely bummed about most soy sauces, lots of soups, and craft beer...sad times). Still, it's worth a shot to see if I can cure some of my tummy woes. If this doesn't work, dairy is up next! 

As far as gluten free baked products go, I've tried some that I really like, such as LiveGFree from Aldi (great taste and fabulous price) and Glutino (their pretzels are the best!!). Still, some of the gluten-free products leave something to be desired--that great, chewy texture, or softness that breads, tortillas and other baked goods have.

I was a little nervous, for that reason, to bake a cake using gluten-free ingredients simply because sometimes the texture of things like coconut flour and other wheat-free substitutes can seem too crumbly or pasty to me. Therefore, using other recipes as inspiration, I set out to create my own low fat, low sugar, gluten-free version, and it turned out awesomely! It even passed the gluten-loving eight-year-old boy test. =)

Recipe and directions below! Recipe serves 14. Or you might like a bigger slice...=)

PS--I feel fairly confident that you could sub just one of your favorite gluten free baking flours instead of what I used (as long as you keep the total amount of flour the same), or a different blend (again, same total amount). I intentionally used a blend of flours to create a complex taste with the batter.


 
INGREDIENTS:

--1 fresh pineapple, peeled (I use the core as well, as not to waste) OR about 2 1/3 cups crushed pineapple (you could reduce this amount if you prefer without any repercussion though your cake topping might not be as moist) 
--5-6 Maraschino cherries (optional)
--(1) pre-packaged 1/2 cup serving of natural, unsweetened applesauce (or 1/2 cup either way)
--1 whole large egg
--7 tablespoons of egg white OR an additional 2 whole eggs (will add more calories and fat to nutritional information)
--2 tbs butter (or your favorite fat--coconut oil or margarine, etc.)
--1/2 cup white sugar (or sweetener equivalent of your choice)
--2 tbsp brown sugar (save for pineapple topping)
--1 teaspoon of liquid or powder stevia (which is equivalent in sweetness to 1 additional cup of sugar)
--1 pre-packaged 1/2 cup serving of natural, unsweetened applesauce (or 1/2 cup either way)
--1 tsp vanilla
--1 tsp almond extract
--1/2 tsp salt
--1 1/2 cup coconut milk (or any other nut milk or dairy milk you prefer)
--1 cup all purpose gluten free baking flour (I used Bob's Red Mill, a blend of garbanzo, tapioca and potato flour)
--1/2 cup gluten free baking/pancake mix (I used Krusteaz brand, which is a blend of rice flours)
--1/4 cup coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
--1/2 cup gluten free corn starch (or tapioca starch)
--1 tsp gluten free baking powder (most brands seem to be)
--1 tsp baking soda 
--1/2 tsp salt 


 DIRECTIONS:

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray or grease your pan very well. I used a typical bundt cake pan (that's how mom always did her pineapple upside down cake!) but you can also use a typical 9x13 or 2 round cake pans (you'd need to split your pineapple mixture up differently, so that's up to you!). For these purposes, the directions are geared toward baking in one pan.

Because I used a fresh, very ripe pineapple, my first step was to peel and chop my pineapple in to large chunks. I did not remove the core. I then blended it in the processor, just briefly, to create a crushed pineapple texture. It yielded just over 2 cups of pineapple, which I then set aside.

Next, blend your applesauce, white sugar, liquid stevia, vanilla, almond extract, 2 tbsp butter, whole egg and egg whites. I mixed this cake by hand, intentionally. You could absolutely use a mixer on a typical cake setting, which would lend a lighter and fluffier cake. I appreciated the density of the hand mix on this cake though--it made it moist and a little heavier, which was tasty!

Combine with dry ingredients (all flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cornstarch) while also incorporating the coconut milk. Beat by hand for around 2 minutes, or around 150 strokes. If you prefer to use a mixer, this would be about 1 minute. If your mixture is too thick and not a nice pouring batter consistency, you may want to consider carefully adding more liquid. I do believe that different gluten free flours may change this variable a bit, so use your best judgment.

Pour pineapple into the bottom of your VERY well greased pan. Add crumbles of brown sugar and maraschino cherries if desired (I placed mine in a little pattern around the bundt cake). 
 
Carefully pour cake batter over the top of pineapple, evenly distributing around pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for around 40 minutes (or less if you use two small cake pans), until cake springs back to the touch or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. Carefully use a spatula or another tool to gently loosen the sides of cake from pan. Pay special care to this part if you are using a bundt pan. In a quick motion, carefully tip pan upside down on to your serving tray (or, if you prefer, leave the cake "right side up"--who cares!).


We served our pineapple upside down cake with a dollop of whip cream! ENJOY!

NUTRIENT INFORMATION:

Yeilds 14 slices.

Calories: 158 per slice
Total fat: 3 grams
Cholesterol: 19.3 mg
Sodium: 30.6 mg
Carbs: 26.1 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Sugars: 10 grams
Protein: 2.6 grams 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts