visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Sunday, December 2, 2012

Growing Up Thrifted: An interview with Ann Tabor




GROWING UP THRIFTED:
An interview with Ann Tabor

Since her teenage years, Ann Tabor's parents (Tim and Kathy Tabor of Hope's Outlet) have owned a thrift store. As you likely may know from my blog, Hope's is one of my very favorite local thrift stores and also the sponsor for the Thrift Trick Fashion Show and Clothing Drive! Beyond having quite the eye for fashion herself and working hard as a full time senior student of the nursing program at GVSU, Ann is also a model for the fashion show. Recently, when Ann stopped over with some items for me to alter with my sewing machine, I nabbed the opportunity for a quick interview. I thought my readers might enjoy hearing Ann's thoughts on "growing up thrifted" and how that has inspired her fashion sense and life in general. Read on below to hear all about it!

Did you "rebel" against the idea of thrift store shopping because your parents owned a thrift store?

Ann: "It's kind of weird. Before we owned a thrift store, I was literally embarrassed to go into them. And there were times in my life when I had to--it was what we could afford! But once we OWNED them, I thought--"OK, I get why people do this". I guess I felt relieved because I had an excuse to be there. Then when I was 15 or 16 I went the total opposite of how I had felt before. I went kind of crazy--I was really into the vintage and weird. I had this big vintage yellow skirt with huge red ladybugs on it. I wore a red shirt and crazy big beads with it. I've toned it down now to just a few crazy pieces."

What was the craziest thing you've ever seen donated to Hope's Outlet?

Ann: "Outside of cool vintage pieces, we've had people donate BOATS. A straight up speedboat. Even broken down cars."

Do you feel that growing up around thrifted clothes has helped to develop your sense of fashion and style?

Ann: "I think it has! It's exposed me to all kinds of crazy wardrobe options--and it's allowed me to experiment with things. What amount of vintage can I handle? I also appreciate the nice Gap clothes that come in. WOW-bargain. I began to appreciate ugly hipster sweaters and the right mix of crazy." (Laughs all around).

What is your typical "go-to" outfit?

Ann: "Skinny jeans and a flowy top. It could be cotton or lace or tie-up. Generally just skinny jeans with some interesting top! And flats. I'm not usually too creative with my hair. If it's not in a ponytail, it's down. " 

_____________________________________________

For the record, despite proclaiming non-creativity with her hair, Ann's red locks are pretty stunning! Thank you, Ann, for taking the time to answer my questions for the blog. And for your participation in the fashion show!

See Ann rocking some great looks on December 8th at Watermark 920 in Muskegon at the Thrift Trick Fashion Show and Clothing Drive! Remember, you can get free tickets at any Hope's Outlet just by bringing in a clothing donation. They will also be available for sale at the event.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts